Giving Thanks...For Work
As we're giving thanks for our families, our faith, our health, our friends, the roof over our head, and all our many blessings, today I wanted to take time to give thanks for work. We tend to give work a bad rap, but there is much to be grateful for. So today I'm asking, what about your work are you thankful for? When it is done with our whole heart, whether you're working in our out of your home, volunteering, a student still in school, or creating art – it is all a blessing and it is love made visible through your work.
In no particular order, here are some of the things work has blessed me with:
- I'm thankful for the people I've had the opportunity to meet and learn from. Thankful for the help so many have given me along the way. Some are like family to me at this point. I've been blessed to meet many, many wonderful, funny, smart, talented, amazing people along the way. And for that I am incredibly thankful.
- I'm thankful for the challenges and opportunities to learn. Through our work we become better people. Every job I've had has taught me things that I've carried forward into other areas of my personal life and work.
- I'm thankful for the opportunity to contribute. Our work allows us to share our gifts. Through our work we are able to touch the lives of others in ways we may never know.
- I'm thankful for the compensation I've been paid for my work. I'm thankful that it has allowed me to take care of and provide for myself and those I love. I'm thankful for all that it has allowed me to give, see, do, and have.
- I'm thankful for my husband. I first met him at work 18 years ago.
- I'm thankful for the many laughs, fun and great memories.
- I'm thankful for you. Thank you for the work you do. Thank you for showing up and giving your best, sharing your gifts with us.
Today is the birthday of someone very special to me that I will be eternally grateful for, my grandfather. He was one of the hardest working people I've known, and my gratitude to him for all that he did to bless me and so many others is beyond any words I'm capable of writing. Thank you Popaw, this is dedicated to you and all that you taught me. Louis M. Robinson - 11/27/1925-12/21/2004.
What about your work are you thankful for?
To do our best work, we must balance work, rest and play. So don't forget to rest and play during this holiday. I wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!