We Get Better At What We Practice
"So what are you practicing?
- barely making deadlines
- skeptically shooting down new ideas
- being generous
- doing art
- looking for opportunities
- dreaming pipe dreams
- giving useful feedback"
~From the book "The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?" by Seth Godin
I needed to read this today. What we do on a consistent basis is what we are "practicing". What we're practicing is what we're focusing on. What we're focusing on expands. I've been "practicing" these things:
- complaining about the weather in Germany
- learning new things
- begrudgingly doing things I don't want to and being REALLY cranky about it
- drinking wine
- beating myself up because I haven't lost that last 10-15 pounds (possible cause - see wine bullet above)
- being angry
I could go on, but as you see - it's a mixed bag. I have some things that I am "practicing" and getting good at that I don't want to be good at.
What about you, what are you practicing?